Center for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa
College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University
CDT·Africa PhD in Translational Medicine
The candidate needs to fulfil the following minimum requirements:
- MSc degree in translational medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, immunology, biochemistry, physiology, medical laboratory technology, microbiology, parasitology, biology, biotechnology, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, biomedical sciences, MD/DVM with speciality certificate or with MSc in biomedical or life sciences, or other related field of study.
- Submit and defend a project concept note relevant to any of the three tracks and take and pass written and/or oral entry examination.
- Meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University (www.aau.edu.et)
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English as English is the medium of education
- Strong candidates from private or public institutions are eligible to apply for the program.
- Applicants could be from Ethiopia or other countries in Eastern or Southern Africa, while priority could be given to national and other African partner institutions.
- Students in this PhD program will need to complete coursework corresponding to 53 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System), 4 ECTS seminar work, 2 ECTS attachment, and doctoral thesis works.
- The PhD program has a maximum total duration of four years. The coursework, seminar, and attachment will be given in the first year and doctoral thesis will be worked in the remaining years.
- Graduates of the PhD program in Translational Medicine should be able to:
- Lead drugs, vaccines, and diagnostics development studies in an integrated multidisciplinary research program Independently design sound research protocols in translational medicine and secure grants
- Establish/strengthen therapeutic R&D centers in industries, academia, or research institutions Lead research units involved in the development of vaccines, diagnostic or drugs
- Offer translational medicine and related courses to postgraduate and
- undergraduate students and supervise research projects
- Manage large-scale clinical trial studies
- Positively influence society and serve as an agent of change in matters related to health science in general and therapeutics in particular
- Make strong contributions to the overall education of future scientists
- Be able to effectively communicate scientific knowledge to the public, policy-makers, and peers
- Contribute to translate discovery into product commercialization
Support given to selected PhD students
- Private applicants need to pay their registration and tuition fee, except when a candidate is eligible for scholarship due to exceptional capacity.
- The deadline for application is 11th August 2019.
- Interview will be conducted in late August.
- Class will start on 01 October 2019.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.